Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

CAn an army soldier accept a gift from another country? Do…

CAn an army...

CAn an army soldier accept a gift from another country? Do they have to report it on their taxes? Do they pay taxes?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

This is more of a general question so I would want to know in either situation—stateside and overseas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I an an attorny in private practice and a client asked me for her son.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She also asked if he retires and gets his pension and then later gets married does the future wife get added to the pension.

11/5/2017
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Under US law, taxes are paid by the DONOR of the gift. So there are no taxes due on a gift to the recipient

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Is an army officer who is overseas allowed to accept a gift from another government as a thank you for in his service

They can. Again, and there is no tax associated with the gift.

Thanks.
If an army officer retires and takes his pension and the. Gets married a year later will his wife be added to the pension. So that she will receive a pension in case he does later.

That depends, did the officer elect SBP (survivor benefit plan) when they retired?

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Ok. Thanks.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer