Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Does my separated wife legally have to give me some of her…

Customer Question
Does my separated wife...

Does my separated wife legally have to give me some of her bah?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I moved to Kentucky 3 weeks ago Seperating myself from her. I just want to know if she is legally obligated to give me any of her bah.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
10/25/2017
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In a military family separation, if she is receiving BAH and you are separating and still legally married, you are entitled to 1/2 of the BAH she receives. If you are not receiving that, then you need to notify her command and if they cannot assist, you would need to file your suit in court for divorce/separation and ask the court to award you that as part of your temporary support.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Different expert here...the prior expert was confused. The answer to your question depends on the service...what service are they in?

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer