Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am going through early stages of depression again. I

Customer Question
didn’t disclose it in my...
I am going through early stages of depression again. I didn’t disclose it in my paperwork when I first joined back in April but I’ve been diagnosed with it before and really feel like I need back on my medicine. Should I talk to someone and tell them I’ve been diagnosed with it before? I know it’ll lead to separation but there’s no other way that I could get that medicine that I really need.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Military Law
10/10/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

This places you in a difficult position. If it becomes known that you didn't disclose a prior diagnosis when joining, you could be charged with fraudulent enlistment, making any separation you receive every negative. It could have a permanent effect on your long term career options.

I think that you should certainly talk about your depression, but if you bring up the prior diagnosis, you risk a punitive discharge and even a criminal record (though this is less likely).

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.