Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My neighbor, who is an officer in the army, threatened

Customer Question
physical violence on me last...
My neighbor, who is an officer in the army, threatened physical violence on me last weekend and the police suggested a restraining order. Am I afraid of him? To some extent, yes. If I do pursuit a restraining order, will it effect his military career? He only goes to his base one weekend a month.
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: Chain of command?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that's it. I'm not trying to ruin him but I don't feel safe without the restraining order.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/10/2017
Military Lawyer: NYCLAWYER, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Lawyer
The restraining order is a strong move and may affect his career. Consider a lawyer letter warning him to stop first.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.
martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer