Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

The army conduct hiv test every year for soldier. If one…

The army conduct hiv test...
The army conduct hiv test every year for soldier. If one soldier pop up positive, would kick you out or at least alert you that you are positive. Or they let it be?
10/10/2017
rayanswers
rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

They are way behind the times on this issue.

Army Regulation (AR) 600-110, drafted in 2014, is titled “Identification, Surveillance, and Administration of Personnel Infected with HIV.” Chapter 5, Section 3 lists the US Military’s official HIV testing guidelines. For instance, 5-3-a states:

Applicants for accession who have no military status of any kind at the time of testing and who are confirmed HIV infected will not be enlisted or appointed in any component of the Army.

An accession, in militaristic terms, is any given cohort of applicants that the Army decides fits the bill to make the Basic Training rounds. If you are found to be HIV-positive during the mandatory medical examinations that are part of your application to join the Armed Forces, you will automatically be denied.

In case you are wondering what happens to soldiers who contract HIV while they’re on a military deployment, there are special protocols to be followed if that is indeed the case. For example, Chapter 6, Section 3 of AR 600-110 offers assignment limitations for soldiers on active duty who contract HIV after enlistment:

HIV infected Soldiers will not be deployed or assigned overseas. HIV infected Soldiers will not perform official duties overseas for any duration of time. Soldiers confirmed to be HIV infected while stationed overseas will be reassigned to the United States.

If you are in here the Army and you are HIV positive then they likely force you out.They would bring you back to US if you are overseas and your career here is likely over.

Please don't shoot the messenger.Obama liberalized alot of policies but not this one and the Trump folks aren't going to change this either for the next several years.

I appreciate the chance to help you and I wish you the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Reference

https://www.outfrontmagazine.com/news/hivaids-and-the-military-what-you-need-to-know/

rayanswers
rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team