Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I want to change my residency to a different state.

Customer Question
I want to change...

I want to change my residency to a different state

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Oversease but pay california taxes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I am a veteran

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I nhave lived oversease for the past 16 years as a contractor

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Military Law
10/7/2017
Military Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning
Typical factors states use to determine residency. Often, a major determinant of an individual's status as a resident for income tax purposes is whether you are domiciled or maintains an address or PO box.You will need to switch your state residency with the Department of Defense pay website, obtain a drivers license, pay taxes, and file tax returns in the US state in which you seek residency. Obtain a driver's license or apply for a non-driver's state ID card if you do not drive. If you have professional licenses, have them transferred to your new state.
I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars.