Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My kid went to basic this past Tueday and called home last…

Customer Question
My kid went to...

My kid went to basic this past Tueday and called home last night and said he's getting admin discharge saying he is depressed and then he would be home in 2-4 weeks and hung up phone, he literally just got there and now being sent home, does this happen or is it something a DI would tell a newbie

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Tried recruiter they said they need more info, we have no info, no mailing address or anything

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if this is a real thing they do and if so how can they consider someone depressed in 36 hrs

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
I asked for this to be cancelled, I thought it was a 5.00 charge for the question, I did not realize it was 40, please again cancel.
I am sure I will hear from him in the next few weeks
10/6/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

My question was is this something that happens at processing, got there Tuesday night, he called last night and said he is being sent home for depression on an administrative discharge and then he was told to hang up the phone. Is this something that is real or something they are told to do, I'm just kind of confused he's been there 1 1/2 days and suddenly diagnosed depressed. He isn't depressed, maybe just stressed over the start of basic training, can he really be kicked out that quick

Thank you

They CAN separate him that quickly. IF there is a basis. That is, if there is evidence that he has a medical condition (like depression) that limits his ability to perform his duties? That would be a basis to separate him.

Now...it is odd, what you are describing. That is, typically, recruits are not identified to separate so quickly (within a few days). But it certainly is possible. Is it possible this is a ruse? Sure...that is possible...though again, unlikely

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

We just thought it was strange and was trying to see if it was possible, so you answered it is possible, but being discharged for depression is so wrong and if true now we have to worry that he actually will be depressed when he comes home for being kicked out

I understand. IF he is separated...and IF it is for depression? He would likely be eligible for assistance from the VA (veterans administration)...they can provide medical care, and compensation for his service connected injuries.

I would not think he would qualify for anything it is week 0 at basic

IF he is separated for a medical condition? Then he will, in all likelihood, be eligible for services from the VA...that is how the program is designed to work...the VA is designed to help veterans who are injured in service.

Literally never had a chance to get injured, got kicked out before processing was completed. Thank you and I will rate you

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil