Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Im getting chaptered its a 5-17 chapter from AIT i have a…

Customer Question
Im getting chaptered its a...
Im getting chaptered its a 5-17 chapter from AIT i have a fractured Fibula and got a cast im in Fort Leonard wood i havent gone to RHU yet but when i do how long will it take for me to get chaptered ive only been on profile one time during AIT and BCT it sounds like a small case but how long will it take for me to get home
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
10/5/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

5-17 for a fracture...did this happen while you were in service? Or BEFORE you entered service?

While at Ait
happened in service

Thanks

Does the Army acknowledge that this happened in service? I ask, because a Chapter 5-17 is NOT the way to address this...

Well my AIT unit is getting my packet ready for RHU so the process hasnt offically started

Thanks

What you are describing? You were injured in service??

That is NOT appropriate for 5-17. They SHOULD be using MEB (medical eval board) process.

That process is lengthy...it can take 6 months or more.
But it is worth the wait, as you will receive compensation for the separation

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

How long is the chapter 5-17 gonna take

The 5-17 would typically only take a few weeks.