Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Im very interested in joining the Coast Guard and finish my…

Customer Question
Im very interested in...

Im very interested in joining the Coast Guard and finish my prior military obligation and I wanted to ask you a question about my eligibility . While I was in the Marine Corps back in 2008 I made a drastic and hard decision to not return to my unit after I was denied leave to see my first born son being born. I was young but felt like I made the best decision I could of made at the time and Because of that decision I got charged by the military for unauthorized absence and missing a movement resulting into 120 days in the brig and a Bad conduct discharge (Not dishonorable) (RE-3or4 I need to verify). I was never charged or convicted of anything in the civilian courts since those charges does not exist in our court/legal system. That being said I have since held employment in various company's in good standing and also was awarded my LTC-Class A unrestricted firearms license which is currently in good standing (Massachusetts) . My big question is would my past military experience automatically disqualify me to join the Coast Guard/Reserves? I know I will be great for this position and my past decision does not reflect my character of who I am today. I am a great worker and have great work ethic and I know the Department will benefit with me on the team. If you can please email me back that will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And just to clarify, have charges been officially filed?

I live in Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No I googled and it seems like any kind of RE-4 is a no go

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats it thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
10/3/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, have you met with a coast guard recruiter? IF so, what was the response?

No not yet

Thank you
That is the first step. Your RE Code will require a "waiver".

The largest problem you face is the poor economy. The poor economy has caused a flock of people turning to the military for jobs. Despite the war recruiting is way up in all branches. The need for the services to grant waivers has decreased. For example the Marines recently decreased their maximum age for enlistment. Its tough today to get a waiver.

That said, not impossible. Frankly, I would consider the national guard. BY FAR they are the easiest to obtain a waiver for.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer