Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Need to write a letter stating why i want to stay in the…

Customer Question
Need to write a...

Need to write a letter stating why i want to stay in the army and what my goals are.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside, their considering discharging my for my BMI. So I must write a letter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes, and all I know is I need to write this letter asap

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just would like some ways of how to say this is all i wanted my whole life.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Military Law
10/3/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you provide some context? What is going on?

I had 6 months to get my BMI down, I didn't make it. So there my chapter paperwork and I'm told it's going thru. However, I can write a letter stating why I want to stay in and my goals. I just would like help finding the right words to use.

Can you tell me, how many years of service do you have?

As of tomorrow it'll be 6yrs
Plus 1 tour in afghanistan

Ahh...so you rate a hearing. Did you elect a hearing on this matter? Is it scheduled?

I'm not sure of the date

Thank you

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

I'm currently at work, so unable to. I must have the letter done by tomorrow morning from what my sgt has told me today.

Wait...why are you submitting the letter now, if your board has not been scheduled? Have you been detailed a lawyer yet? If so, have you met with them?

No, none of that. I only know what my sgt has told me. He states if I wanted to write this letter to stay in I needed to do it asap.

OK. Well, I think you may be getting some bad advice...actually, I am certain of it.
Regardless, how can I help...I can not write the letter for you. This is why I recommend we chat on the phone (I can give you some insight into what such a letter will included). I would be happy to chat this evening if that works for you

That's all I wanted was some insight into words to use, ect. I'm not much of a letter writer, maybe I'll just google and see if I can find some example letters.

Suit yourself. Again, the offer is open if you like.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer