Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

What does it mean "to be chaptered"? My daughter is in the…

Customer Question
What does it mean...

What does it mean "to be chaptered"? My daughter is in the army and has a severe case of anxiety which is well documented, and now she tells me...while deployed that they have started the paperwork on her being "chaptered"

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Her deployment is Kuwait but she is stationed in Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I wouldn't even begin to know where to start with that, she is medicated and her NCOs know of her condition

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not to mention she has been seeing a behavioral health specialist to whom she says has "given up on her"

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Military Law
10/3/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

It means that a person is administratively discharged. The "chapter" just refers to the fact that different administrative discharges are described in chapters within the regulation that controls administrative separations.

So, when a person is "chaptered" they are given paperwork showing that they are being administratively separated for some specific matter. Sometimes, it is related to medical or social issues that make them unsuitable for service. Sometimes, it is for misconduct issues and those are treated a little differently.

With a severe case of anxiety, which is documented, I would expect that they would separate her medically, based on the idea that her medical condition is not compatible with military service. Now, her separation status would be such that she would still be entitled to VA benefits when she left, so that her medical treatment could continue. However, with that particular diagnosis, it is disqualifying for military service and so continued service would not be possible.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer