Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Does a soldier have any chance of getting accepted into

Customer Question
Does a soldier have...

Does a soldier have any chance of getting accepted into ranger school when they have a dui? They also just got in trouble for fighting.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's really it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Military Law
10/2/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

That really depends on when they got the DUI in relation to military service. If it was prior to military service and they got into the military on a waiver, they could be accepted to a Ranger program. If they were already in the service and got a DUI, it is exceedingly unlikely the would be accepted to a program. In fact, chances are that they would have no chance of further promotion and would ultimately (if not immediately) be separated from the service.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer