Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I have been talking to an Army soldier stationed in Syria.

Customer Question
Hi I have been...

Hi I have been talking to an Army soldier stationed in Syria. He said his mother is sick and he needs to come home right away. He had me write an email to his general to confirm the situation that he has to leave and needs an exit permit to do so. The so called general answered me back and said I need to pay for his flight home! Wouldn’t this be something the army would pay for? Do soldiers have to pay for their own flights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

I am in the United states

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I received an email from a general

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He said he can’t get access to his own money bc of what’s happening in Syria now. He promises to pay me back after he sees his mother he was coming to me

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
10/2/2017
Military Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

DO NOT SEND MONEY TO HIM. This is a very common scam. Deployed soldiers do not pay for their own flights, to have their personal effects shipped home or to get leave.

If he is in the military he would be prohibited from being on chat lines or revealing his location for security reasons. An active duty soldier also may not reveal their full name to someone they have not met. If you did meet online, all you would ever know would be his first name, NEVER his full name, rank and location. Real soldiers know this - scammers do not.

If he is in Syria, Afghanistan or Nigeria or anywhere else, his address format will be:

Rank, Name

Unit Number

Base, Camp or Embassy name

APO AE 09xxx-xxx

There is never a country name used in mail to military or embassy personnel. It goes to an APO address which is treated as US domestic mail. So if the address you get is different than what is above he is not in the military. For security reasons all mail to military personnel overseas must go through an APO.

Also ask him to email you from his Army email address. If he's in the army his address will be *****@******.*** -- nothing else. Do not believe anyone who says they cannot use their military address for personal email. That's BS. They are supposed to only use their military address when overseas.

The Army and others have issued many warnings about fake soldiers on dating and social networking sites:

http://www.fakewarriors.org/phonies/phonies1309.htm

http://marriedtothearmy.com/are-you-dating-an-army-soldier-or-a-fake/

Also insist on a Skype chat. All US bases and Embassies have computers with internet access to Skype friends and family back home. If he is emailing you, he can Skype you.

If he is on active duty overseas, he is limited to 30 minutes of internet access a week, once a week. He would not be chatting with you daily or several times a week. He would have an assigned 30 minute slot each week to communicate with friends and family at home. Scammers will be on with you several times a week.

The military has instructed that victims not contact them but, rather, to notify the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center and give them all the details here at www.IC3.gov.They also want you to report the scam to the Federal Trade Commission, which you can do at***@******.***.

You can see that here on the CID website. (https://www.army.mil/article/130861/army_investigators_warn_public_about_romance_scams)

Finally, You can also use this website to confirm there is no soldier by that name where he is stationed.

https://scra.dmdc.osd.mil/

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you victimized by this thief.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

He told me he snuck a cell phone into the camp which they aren’t supposed to have and he would talk to me while he was in his room at the camp. He wouldn’t give me his army email until we met. He said they monitor the emails
He said bc his mother is sick he needed an exit permit to immediately leave the base in Syria. So I wrote this email to a so called general and they said I have to pay for flight and then I get another email of where to wire the $$ to and it’s a bank in sc doesn’t add up

Thank you for the additional information.

None of this is true. There is no sick mother, no requirement to pay for a flight and no soldier in Syria.

In reality, this is a criminal trying to steal your money.

You can report this online to the FBI at www.ic3.gov

Block his number and email from your phone. He is criminal and deserves no explanation. Just cut off the contact.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney