Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My wife is wanting to get separated and wants to move into…

Customer Question
My wife is wanting...

My wife is wanting to get separated and wants to move into another place. We currently reside in on post housing. How much of the bah would she get if she decides to moves off post in a separate house/apartment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Over seas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Military Law
10/2/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

That depends on the branch of service you are in. It changes from branch to branch.

For the Army, she would get half of the non-locality BAH, unless there are kids that go with her. Basically, each dependent gets a share of the non-locality BAH rate, and she gets whats shares are with her. You can the non-locality rate here.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/browse/Allowances/Non-Locality_BAH/2017-Non-Locality-BAH-Rates.pdf

The Air Force just says 'adequate support' and that involves some argument with command, because she can go to command and argue that whatever you choose is not adequate.

The Marines also use a pro-rata share of the BAH.

The Navy divides your gross pay (so BAH and base pay) with a spouse only getting 1/3, but a spouse with two or more kids getting 3/5th's.

You can see all the information here:

http://www.jag.navy.mil/legal_services/documents/Divorce_Packet-RLSO.pdf

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer