Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

If being married after retirement and that marriage was

Customer Question
If being married after...

If being married after retirement and that marriage was annulled can I choose the retirement benefit within 12 months if I remarry for the person that I get married to

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is in the state of Georgia the military benefit is the question

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I have been retired for 20 years and was married to someone and had that marriage annulled. Now I would like to remarry and assign my SBC benefits to my future wife. But this cannot be done unless the military recognizes the annulment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to make sure that that annulment will be recognized by the military even if this person was in the deers system.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
9/30/2017
Military Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 8 months ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I cannot comment on your specific case, but generally, military will recognize an annulment of marriage granted by a state family court and would treat such situation, as if the annulled marriage never existed.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.