Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I was discharged from the air force in 1969 with an

Customer Question
honorable. At this date what...
I was discharged from the air force in 1969 with an honorable. At this date what chance do I have to upgrade?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
9/29/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Perhaps there is a typo here. There is no upgrade from an honorable. It's as high as you can get it. If you are asking about a change to your record or you meant that you want an honorable, but has less than that, then there is a process to try and correct your record. You would have to file a DD Form 149 with the military records corrections board.

That board can correct your record, but only if you can prove that the original discharge status was an error or was an injustice at the time it was given. This is a very high burden and so, as a result, very few people ever get their discharge upgraded...perhaps 10%.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer