Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I had gone over to a friends house to celebrate his 21st…

Customer Question
Good afternoon, I had gone...
Good afternoon, I had gone over to a friends house to celebrate his 21st birthday on a weeknight, both of us had woken up late for work the following day, and I am currently being charged with Unauthorized Abensce, Fraternization, Adultry, and Drunken while on Duty under the UCMJ. This NJP will be my 3rd, if I do decide to accept it, which will result in an Administration Separation. I do plan on possibly fighting this as much as I can and would like some advice on if it’s smarter to do so.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
9/27/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Fighting the accusations can be done in multiples ways. You can simply present evidence before the NJP and count on the commander to take that into consideration or you can demand trial by court marital. Both have their good and bad qualities.

Fighting before an NJP is an exercise in trust. You have to trust a commander to take into consideration your defense fairly and base any punishment, if any, on the merit of that defense. That's really the downside of accepting NJP. The upside is that you limit the possible punishment against you and guarantee that you will have no conviction on your record.

Demanding trial by court martial gives you many more rights. You have the right to representation, trial by jury and the rules of evidence suddenly apply. There is a burden of proof that has to be met against you. That's the upside. The downside is that you are now subject to the punishments under court martial, much more severe than NJP. Furthermore, if you are found guilty of any of it, that is a federal conviction and your permanent record.

So, as for fighting the matter, unless you have a legal defense to every single one of the allegations against you, it is a terrible risk demanding trial by court martial. While you might win on some of the issues, a federal conviction for any one of the allegations is worse than being found liable for all of them under an NJP (because the punishment is capped).

From your own facts, you admit that you were late to work the next day. At the very least, you have an Article 86 offense based on that alone and demanding court martial would result in a guaranteed federal conviction for that all by itself. On that basis, I don't see it as a smart move to refuse the NJP and demand trial by court martial.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

I understand that there are more grave consequences to demanding a court martial than to accepting an NJP, but I feel as if I could possibly fight it then I would. I definitely don’t want to get another NJP, but I definitely don’t want to have a federal conviction on my record. I have not seen the evidence placed against me, and I do not know what evidence there is that can be used against me. I was late, yes, but I feel that Article 86 is very extreme for being late because a service member who can go UA for 29 days, would still get the same charges as I would.

While I understand that you feel it is extreme, Article 86 is meant for all levels of being absent, to include being slightly late.

So I wouldn't count on that being a help here. It is still a violation of Article 86. Now, at court martial it wouldn't amount to much in terms of punishment. I think you are right there. However, it would still be a federal conviction.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.