Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I received a bcd in the marines and did 6 months in the brig…

Customer Question
I received a...

I received a bcd in the marines and did 6 months in the brig with no fine am able to posses or own a fire arm

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
9/27/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

The military doesn't actually define things as felonies or misdemeanors. Instead, each individual state does that by looking at what you could have been sentenced to, not what you were actually sentenced to.

If you could have been sentenced to more than a year in jail then every state in the country would consider it a felony conviction and you would not retain rights unless you went through that state's reinstatement process (if they have one...most don't).

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.