Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Divorced, our 18-19 year old enlisted to Army, was only

Customer Question
Divorced, our 18-19 year...

Divorced, our 18-19 year old enlisted to Army, was only there for 30 days--received pay then was discharged for depression. Are parents now still accountable for child support?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

In United States

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

There is no more connection to the Army

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
9/26/2017
Military Lawyer: NYCLAWYER, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

What did the support order provide? did it terminate or suspend on enlistment?

Parents would be liable for support for the duration of the support order, and if released early, would resume support until support order ends or a court orders modification on motion.

Kindly let me know if that is clear and acceptable by responding "yes"

Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Would our child not be emancipated once she made the decision to enlist, and at that point be considered an adult and no further parental support required?
No phone call, this communication is good...we can continue via text

Yes, unless the support order provides for a later age. If there is ambiguity in the court order, the judge can decide the issue on motion by either side.

Practically, if child does not press the issue, it may be waived.

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
you're saying our child has the final say???
Not happy that's --- oh ok taking it back to court!

The court order has the final say. The order should provide an end date. If the position is the child emancipated and waived, then child would have to ask the court to void that so burden on child to ask the court, not to have a final say

If child does nothing, the issue is not even considered by the court.

Is that clearer and acceptable?

Frustrated and done...no further communication. Appreciate your time and still not happy as it's a difficult divorce!
Very welcome. Good luck.
Kindly rate me five stars.
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Lawyer