Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I enlisted in August and i realized it’s not what my

Customer Question
Hello, I enlisted in...

Hello, I enlisted in August and i realized it’s not what my recruiter promised and it’s not conducive to my religion as a jew. I’m suffering my anxiety and depression and the thought of being stuck for 6 years makes me want to harm myself i don’t leave for basic until jan 08 can i get ELS? if i can prove my mental health is weak

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside in ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Not yet i’m on my second drill currently

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m just scared that i will be punished

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Military Law
I was told that if I contract with ROTC after basic then my schooling wouldn’t be interrupted but he didn’t tell me i would be signing away another 6 years I would 36 when i’m done with the army if I did that. I specifically told him i wouldn’t want to do anything that would harm my schooling
9/24/2017
Military Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 9 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Sir!
Military Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 9 months ago

If you have not adapted to the military world and demonstrate that you are not succeeding within it, you may be eligible for an entry-level performance and conduct discharge. It is available only if you are still in entry level status--that is during the first 180 days of continuos active military service.

Consider seeking an entry level performance and conduct discharge if you:

• believe you made a mistake enlisting in the military,
  • are not willing or able to complete your training,
  • experience emotional distress,
  • or have difficulty coping with military life.

Inaptitude, failure to adapt to the military environment, failure to progress satisfactorily in a required training program, lack of effort, psychological or stress-related symptoms, lack of self-discipline, or minor disciplinary infractions are all examples of grounds for this separation. If the member is requesting separation for dependency/hardship or conscientious objection, the member may receive an entry level separation if the application or request is submitted while the member is in entry-level status.

When a command determines that a member in entry-level status is unqualified for further military service by reason of unsatisfactory performance or conduct, the command may initiate separation proceedings. To grant an entry level separation, the command must view a servicemember’s problems with military duty as unintentional. You will not be processed for this separation if your command believes that your problems are manufactured, or that your behavior is consciously undertaken to avoid military service. Commanders are also instructed that nothing should prevent separation for another (possibly more punitive) discharge if warranted by your actions.

This is a command-initiated discharge, which means there is no application procedure and you have no “right” to this discharge. Getting an early discharge is not easy and the procedures can be complicated. Discharge regulations are intended to give commanders control over their troops to maintain good order and discipline. You must persuade your command that a discharge is warranted and in the best interests of the military.

Military Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 9 months ago

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.