Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

How can I retain my gi benefits with a general under

Customer Question
How can I retain...

How can I retain my gi benefits with a general under honorable conditions discharge

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Overseas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Not about my gi benefits just the admin sep

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I got to NJP either Monday or Tuesday and the whole chain of command has recommended admin sep, most likely i'll get general under honorable conditions because I have not done anything to the extremes of an OTH or a dishonorable or bad conduct I just want to know is their anyway to retain at least my post 9/11 bill

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Military Law
9/22/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You cannot get GI Bill benefits with a General. That is the one benefit in the military that absolutely requires an honorable discharge.

If they seek a General Discharge and you are given it, then you will not have access to the GI Bill.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.