Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am an ex military spouse of a retiree who is now

Customer Question
I am an ex...

I am an ex military spouse of a retiree who is now re-married, Can I still get my military spousal ID Card after 17 years of marriage of his active duty career

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

He is reiredt retired

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Pertaining to social security if he were to pass before myself. Would I be entitled to it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
9/22/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

No, you cannot. Unfortunately, the rule concerning your having an ID card requires that you were married to a military member during 20 years of service. If you were only married for 17 years, you cannot qualify.

I wish I could tell you differently, but this is a federal statutory requirement.

Now, that have nothing to do with social security, which is an entirely different issue. You would have to address that with an Elders law attorney, not a military law attorney.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer