Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

CAN MY RETIREMENT BE GARISHED. AND LIVE IN ALABAMA. I have…

Customer Question
CAN MY RETIREMENT BE...

CAN MY RETIREMENT BE GARISHED

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

I AM RETITED AND LIVE IN ALABAMA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I have no change of command as i am retired

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
9/21/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Only for very specific debts, like child or spousal support. Your retirement cannot be garnished for civil debt or credit card debt.

Now, that being said, a bank account can be garnished and if that bank account has other funds in it other than military retirement, then it is considered a commingled account, and they can take funds from that account. The safest way to avoid this is to have military retirement deposited into its own account.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer