Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I have a friend who is a SSG in the Army and is facing an

Hi, I have a friend...
Hi, I have a friend who is a SSG in the Army and is facing an overweight discharge after 19 years of service. What can he expect as compensation, other than his last check?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No maam, thank you😁
9/21/2017
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

He would receive half involuntary separation pay. He can only get half, because he is not fully eligible for retention (as he fails the weight standard).

The rate of separation pay for full was $81,486.00 in 2016, so around half of that (with a slight increase).

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Thank you so much sir, and just one last question...will he be able to retain any benefits or insurance?

As far as benefits, he'd just retain the rights any honorably discharged veteran would have. The right to VA hospitals, VA loans and GI Bill, if he hasn't used it yet.

He would not retain the right to TRICARE, though they do offer a transitional form of insurance, much like COBRA in the civilian world, and he'd receive notice of this.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer