Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

E Purvis and I was drifted in 1966. While in basic training…

Customer Question
My name is***** and...

My name is***** and I was drifted in 1966. While in basic training I jumped doing drills and tore my right knee.they sent me home with a medical discharge. Am I a veteran

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I have tried but they looked at me like I crazy

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes , I have been treated like dirt since that time.andbwhen I applied for jobs they told me if couldn't stay there we don't want you here

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
When I tried to get jobs and told them that I got hurt in basic training. They turned me down every time.
9/20/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

There is no one answer to this question because there is no one legal definition of a veteran. Every time Congress passes a law that benefits "veterans," they create a different definition of that term, so there are multiple definitions.

You have a service connected injury and if your right knee is still an issue, you remain a service-connect injury veteran for VA purposes.

That being said, you never served at any regular duty based or deployment, so you wouldn't be a veteran for many other benefits.

For example, you are likely not eligible for a VA loan because you don't meet that "veteran" definition.

So, your answer really depends on just what benefit you are trying to gain.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

One more question.i got hurt back then. And the law was in play at that time,why can't it hold up today? And on top of that , the doctor told a lie and tried to say that it was my left leg
Maybe tomorrow, it's late for the night.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the law was in play back then why can't it hold up now."

I also don't know what the information about your doctor lying has to do with this question.

The fact that you were hurt during basic training and separated meant then and still means now that you can be a service connected injured veteran for the narrow purpose of seeking Veteran's care for that knee.

I also don't know what you mean by "maybe tomorrow." I've addressed the question to the extent legally possible.

Not tonight.

Ok. You initiated this session, so I didn't understand that we were under a strict timeline. I'll address any additional questions you come up with tomorrow.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer