Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Is there a formula that is standard in Military Divorces for…

Customer Question
Is there a formula...

Is there a formula that is standard in Military Divorces for determining alimony when no children are involved?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside. In the state of Virginia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, The question also applies to support during Separation.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Military Law
9/18/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 11 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Sorry...not sure I understand the question. What do you mean by

formula that is standard in Military Divorces for determining alimony when no children are involved?

What does that mean? Are you under the impression the military has some say or impact on a divorce court issuing an alimony order??

No, I am not. I am just trying to see if there is some expectation that lawyers in Military cases use when determining alimony.

No...not at all. A far as the divorce court goes, the military paycheck is no different than a wallmart check or any other employer. So there is no special formula.

Now...there is a formula that can be used for division of retired pay...can you tell me, how long have you been married and is your soon to be ex expected to retire from the military?

I have been in the military for 31 years and have been married for 28 of them.

Thanks

2 more

1. Which service?

2. Are you and your soon to be ex in agreement on the terms ?

1. Navy
2. We are just beginning the process, but are in agreement to end the marriage.
Are you familiar with VA law and the 6 month requirement for Separation?

Thanks

Yes, I am familiar with the requirements for divorce in VA.

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

Been a few mins...I have not heard back from you. I need to step away for approx 20 mins but will check when I return to see if you have responded.