Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My ex and I divorced several years ago. He is retired Air…

Customer Question
My ex and I...

My ex and I divorced several years ago. He is retired Air force. dfas initially made a mistake and sent 100% retirement to him although I was entitled to half. They made these payment for over a year. The courts have ordered him to pay back to me was was originally owed. he is refusing. Can his retirement be garnished to pay this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

The judgement was made in Utah, but he lives in texas now

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No. only dealt with the local court

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/17/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

It is possible to garnish military retired pay. DFAS (military pay) will require a court order (garnishment order). So you will need to have a local attorney file a request with the court for a garnishment order...once you have it, DFAS can garnish.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer