How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 14504
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Marsha My son is 18 and enlisted in the Navy as a DEP. while

Customer Question

Hi Marsha
My son is 18 and enlisted in the Navy as a DEP. while in boot camp, he injured his back, though the Meds didn't find anything wrong. He was on light duty for a week or so, but was recently washed out and notified by legal he was being sent home as an RE4. Is there anything he can do to change this discharge code?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.


Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your son's situation. The answer to your question really depends on what the specific reason for the RE 4 code is. Can you tell me what the separation code (3 letters) and narrative reason for discharge on his DD-214 says?

I will be away from my computer for most of the morning, but will respond again as soon as I am available.