rayanswers
rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team
Experience:  Military Law Expert
8534270

I have been married for 44 years to a now retired military

Customer Question

I have been married for 44 years to a now retired military spouse. 5 of those years were with the air force and 15 with the public health service. Two questions: He has left as of 3 months ago with another woman and is not returning to me. Will I keep my military Tricare for life insurance? also is there a way that I am eligible for part of his military retirement. Thanks you for your time
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: we are retired so I have no idea no idea whom to contact
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  rayanswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

What state are you in here?

Yes you would be due half his retirement and yes you can keep your Tricare here.

After your divorce is final, your spouse can disenroll you from DEERS, which will terminate your Tricare eligibility. You may qualify to continue your Tricare coverage if you were married to your military spouse for at least 20 years, and at least 20 of those years were during your spouse's military service.

Can My Spouse Cancel My Tricare Benefits if We are Going Through a ...

If you give me your state I can get you lawyer referral.You likely get half his retirement in a divorce. The sooner you file the sooner you get paid.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.