Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My wife and I are both over 65. I have a SBP for her. Am I…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I are both over 65. I have a SBP for her. Am I correct that there is no longer an offset on social security and she will receive the SS benefits she is now receiving in addition to her SBP?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/12/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

You are correct. There was a change in the law that regulates SBP (this is found in Title 10 of the US Code). The change actually happened over 10 year ago, and went into full effect in 2008. So there is no more SS offset for SBP

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer