P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My wife and I are both over 65. I have a SBP for her. Am I

Customer Question

My wife and I are both over 65. I have a SBP for her. Am I correct that there is no longer an offset on social security and she will receive the SS benefits she is now receiving in addition to her SBP?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

You are correct. There was a change in the law that regulates SBP (this is found in Title 10 of the US Code). The change actually happened over 10 year ago, and went into full effect in 2008. So there is no more SS offset for SBP

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil