P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My daughter has been involuntarily disenrolled from the

Customer Question

My daughter has been involuntarily disenrolled from the Coast Guard Academy and she is currently waiting on an answer to her final appeal. She's still there, has been awarded her 4/c shoulder boards but is expecting a final, binding ruling in the next week. Neither she nor I have been fully aware of the process, as it started during
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: (Sorry, hit return- she is stateside) Swab summer with a vision occurrence that happened only once. Never before, never since. Medical staff accused her of lying by omission about this condition, but the only thing she's known is she's had to wear glasses since age two. I think this allegation has shadowed the entire proceedings, and despite evidence submitted by her personal eye doctor, they upheld the diagnosis. Upper classmen have been telling her that medically dqed cadets get lawyers. I am completely at a loss as to the process.
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: I have been completely stonewalled. My daughter's chief is working with her, and the commandant's office is the conduit by which I get information to her via e-mail. I m in Minnesota, the Academy is in Connecticut
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I really don't know much myself!
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whether there is any legal action that can be taken so that she can stay at the Academy
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

What do you mean by

"currently waiting on an answer to her final appeal."

What does this mean?

Did she go through a hearing on this matter already? What did the hearing board recommend?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind. Please refund my $5 and do not charge me any further.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I wish you the best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!