Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

Why is it taking so long for them to send my daughter home

Customer Question

why is it taking so long for them to send my daughter home it have been 4 week since they stop her training
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: stateside (Fort Jackson SC)
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: no I have no number
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know what I need to do
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

As a parent, I understand that that is a long time for her to be waiting and for you to be waiting. However, as an attorney, I have come to understand that 4 weeks is not a very long time in the legal world. There is no legally mandated period of time by which they must send her home. They have internal processes for completing separation paperwork, but those are just guidelines which we (JAG's) try to have commanders follow, but we can't force those guidelines to be followed.

I have seen these sorts of situations take two and even three months to resolve, but more typically it is from 4 to 6 weeks. Contacting the chain of command is not going to speed up the process, in most situations. Instead, it tends to have a negative effect, resulting in the separation being processed more slowly.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.