Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My husband was in the Navy for over 12 years. He got out

Hello my husband was in...
Hello my husband was in the Navy for over 12 years. He got out over 10 years ago. Since he got out he is now allergic to everything. He never had this problem before or during his time. He was an AME and worked with explosives. He was exposed to Cadmium and all kinds of other chemicals as he worked on ejection seats and F16s, F18s. He has hearing loss in his right ear, tore muscles in his leg while he was in and now suffers from anxiety which he has taken medication for since he got out. He has not been able to hold a job consistently either. Is there anyone that can help us with VA benefits? I have no idea how to go about applying for them.
9/5/2017
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. You don't say whether or not he is currently using VA Medical benefits. Assuming that he was discharge with anything other than a punitive discharge, he would qualify for VA Medical care on a priority basis. In addition, if any of the conditions that you mentioned were noted in his medical record while he was on active-duty he might be able to qualify for a service-connected disability and monthly compensation because of that.

However, if there is no documentation of any of these issues in his service medical records, the road gets a harder to service-connection. The onus would be on him to establish any service-connection of a current condition he has. That would usually require a physician (a VA physician ultimately would have to find them connected) to opine that there is a connection and establish in what way it occurred. Under this circumstance, it might be that he will need to hire a military law attorney (a civilian attorney with a military law practice that handles VA disability cases) to try to establish the connection.

But, his first step is to apply for VA Medical care benefits at his nearest VA Medical Facility and then go from their with his application for service-connected benefits if he wants to pursue that. You can find more information about that process at: https://www.benefits.va.gov/Compensation/

Please feel free to ask for clarification after you and your husband have read the guidance at the link I provided. If none is necessary, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page for my efforts to provide the information you asked for, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Marsha411JD, Lawyer