Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law
66887675

I am trying to see if my mother-in-law is eligible for

Customer Question

I am trying to see if my mother-in-law is eligible for veteran spousal benefits. She is 85 and living in assisted care. I found her husband's Honerable Discharge certificate from the US Navey dated the 15th of May 1954, but it reads his name, "USNR-R". I guess this means he was in the Navy Reserves, so she would not be eligible, correct?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: CA
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Unfortunately, a member of the military reserve is only eligible for reserve retirement pay after accumulating 20 or more years of qualifying service. Additionally, for a spouse to be eligible to receive retirement pay, a reserve member has to elect a survivor benefit plan. I'm guessing that the husband did not actually serve 20 years since you are just finding out that he was part of the US Navy.