Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I am trying to see if my mother-in-law is eligible for

Customer Question
I am trying to see...
I am trying to see if my mother-in-law is eligible for veteran spousal benefits. She is 85 and living in assisted care. I found her husband's Honerable Discharge certificate from the US Navey dated the 15th of May 1954, but it reads his name, "USNR-R". I guess this means he was in the Navy Reserves, so she would not be eligible, correct?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: CA
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/29/2017
Military Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Unfortunately, a member of the military reserve is only eligible for reserve retirement pay after accumulating 20 or more years of qualifying service. Additionally, for a spouse to be eligible to receive retirement pay, a reserve member has to elect a survivor benefit plan. I'm guessing that the husband did not actually serve 20 years since you are just finding out that he was part of the US Navy.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer