Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am trying to see if my mother-in-law is eligible for

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to see if my mother-in-law is eligible for veteran spousal benefits. She is 85 and living in assisted care. I found her husband's Honerable Discharge certificate from the US Navey dated the 15th of May 1954, but it reads his name, "USNR-R". I guess this means he was in the Navy Reserves, so she would not be eligible, correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/29/2017
Military Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Unfortunately, a member of the military reserve is only eligible for reserve retirement pay after accumulating 20 or more years of qualifying service. Additionally, for a spouse to be eligible to receive retirement pay, a reserve member has to elect a survivor benefit plan. I'm guessing that the husband did not actually serve 20 years since you are just finding out that he was part of the US Navy.