Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I have some questions about reporting infidelity, stateside,

Customer Question
I have some questions...

I have some questions about reporting infidelity

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

That's part of my problem. I am currently medically retired and living in Killeen. My exwife, who had an affair when we were married and even had a child as a consequence of the affair, is now living in New Jersey. She is now married to this person. They are threating me with a legal battle and so I am trying to find out how I can report the affair to his chain of command. But I don't know how..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This happened about two years ago, but as I understand it, the statute of limitations is 5 years. is that right?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Military Law
8/27/2017
Military Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

As you know, under the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice), adultery is prosecuted under Article 134, which prohibits conduct which is of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, generally.

According to a trusted source, "There are three "Elements of Proof" for the offense of Adultery in the Military:

1. That the accused wrongfully had sexual intercourse with a certain person;
  2. That, at the time, the accused or the other person was married to someone else; and
  3. That, under the circumstances, the conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces."

To report the adultery, the best step is to contact the commanding officer of your ex-wife. This person will follow the chain of command to have the JAG bring justice. As far as the statute of limitations, it is two years from the date if she is going to get an Article 15 punishment, and five years if she is to receive a full blown court martial.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

How can I go about getting in contact with the commanding officer to if I don't have any information on what unit or even what post? All I know is that they live in New Jersey.

You need to contact the base adjutant to find out who the commanding officer is. This person usually is in charge of all of the personnel and administrative matters at the base. It may require some leg work, but you may just be able to figure out what base she is on depending on what branch she is in and then contact that person and you then you can find the CO.

Did you have any other questions for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.