Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My relative served in the Air Force from 1964-1968. His

Customer Question
DD214 shows that he was...
My relative served in the Air Force from 1964-1968. His DD214 shows that he was awarded RVCM and VSM w/1 BSS. Because these are both medals for service in Viet Nam, does it mean that his widow should qualify for benefits for VIet Nam veterans?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: Local veterans office and clinic. They are claiming proof of being on Viet Namese soil is required.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
8/17/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Sorry, what benefits or are you referring to specifically? What benefits is she trying to obtain? And has she applied for them, and if so what was the response from the Veterans Administration?
She is requesting a pension benefit and health insurance as a widow. The Veterans are submitting the application, but are requesting proof of setting foot in Viet Nam. He did not keep in touch with fellow servicemen.

Odd...there is NO widow benefit that requires a veteran step foot in Vietnam.

Was he on active duty the entire time?

It is the agent orange benefit.

Umm...someone is giving you wrong information...

I see you requested a phone call...but payment failed. If you contact customer service they can correct this and I would be happy to speak to you about this matter...again I think you are receiving incorrect information

Okay. Because this is my sister, I may not have all the information for you. My question then goes back to the original. Shouldn't those medals be proof that he was there? That's the only answer I need for now.

Well...the Vietnam Service Medal (VSM) was awarded to all members of the United States Armed Forces serving in Vietnam and its contiguous waters or airspace thereover, after 3 July 1965 through 28 March 1973. Members of the United States Armed Forces in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, or airspace thereover, during the same period and serving in direct support of operations in Vietnam are also eligible for the award. So, it is possible to get the VSM and not step foot on the land.

And for the RVCM Since March 1966, the medal may also be awarded to any service member who, while serving outside the geographical limits of the Republic of Vietnam, contributed direct combat support to the Republic of Vietnam Armed Forces for six months.

So neither of these will prove he set foot in country.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

I have already received a fraud alert on my credit card. I did not expect that the $59 was over and above the $5 and $35 that had already been charged to me. This is misleading. I do not object to the information that you furnished me, but the methods used to bring customers in. Maybe you have no control over that.

I am a user of the site...just like you. I have NO control over billing. I would appreciate if you would rate the answer, as that is the only way I receive credit.

thank you

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer