P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Looking for guidance. I have a ssg and a specialist who are

Looking for guidance. I have a ssg and a specialist who are friends, but there is a possibility that it could be more. They are in the same unit. But not in the same section or chain of command. If they were to be married, could they get in trouble?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: State side
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: They keep saying it's a perception thing. And say that military dating military is not a good idea. I've talked to both soldiers. They have a great friend relationship. They want more as far as marriage. But gossip is making it difficult. They want to be married just don't to get in trouble
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really. Just want to give the right advice. You can't prevent love. You can tell they are happy.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It would be greatly appreciated.

Marriage is not the problem....the problem would be the relationship that led to the marriage...are they having a personal relationship that does not respect the differences in grade?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No the relationship is professional. They hang out but there are always other people around.

Thanks

There is no problem with marriage. The problem would be IF they get married, and their commander(s) investigate, and find they had a personal relationship PRIOR to the marriage that did not respect the differences in rank? In that case they could be prosecuted.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the grade difference is not an issue. They work in different sections. There are no counceling or rating. Neither job affects the other.

Thank you for using the phone option. Please give a call (or let me know if you can not see my #)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I mean the command knows they hang out after work. But also know that other soldiers are around. It's always a group setting.