Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I have some questions I am hoping you have the answer to, or

Customer Question
Hi there! I have some...
Hi there! I have some questions I am hoping you have the answer to, or could help with. My husband recently got a DUI he is a private in the army, with a history of misconduct. Once he got his DUI his commander and 1st sgt have restricted him to post and revoked his driving privileges. He is not under UCMJ. He has not received an article 15 and it's been about 50 days. They have told him that he will not be able to leave post until he is out of the army. Is this okay for them to do this?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
8/13/2017
Military Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Michael Bradley
As he is a member of the military at this point until sometime when he is not a member, yes his superiors can restrict him to the base. They may be simply waiting to see what happens with the DUI charge before they process the Article 15. I am guessing they're waiting to see what happens with the DUI before acting. However, a short answer to your question is yes he can be restricted to base for the duration that he is still a member of the army.
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer