Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Can the usmc see the context of text messages. Stateside.

Customer Question
Can the usmc see...

Can the usmc see the context of text messages

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm going to be investigated for inappropriate relationship

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
8/5/2017
Military Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What USMC can do is confiscate your phone and do a search on it to find text messages that they believe are relevant to their investigation. They basically do a search just like the police would do a search. What this usually requires is the direction of your commanding officer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok so they will confiscate my phone if they feel like it

Yes, they will if it is authorized.

Please don't forget to provide a positive rating at the top of your screen.