Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Can a retired soldier get a divorce at a military post. No…

Customer Question
Hello! Can a retired...

Hello! Can a retired soldier get a divorce at a military post.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a JAG attorney about this? Or anyone in the chain of command?

No not yet. My wife and I just decided to divorce because we dont see eye to eye any more

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

I am stateside

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
8/4/2017
Military Lawyer: PaulmoJD, Attorney replied 1 year ago
PaulmoJD
PaulmoJD, Attorney
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Divorce is a state law issue. As such, it needs to be filed in a state court. So a retired or other military member cannot get a divorce on a military post. The retired military member must file a petition for divorce through the state court system where they reside. JAG officers handle military claims, not state law claims such as divorce, although some may assist active duty members with the process and information, they cannot represent them or do the work on the divorce.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.