Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Stateside. No I haven't. I am trying to just get out I am…

Customer Question
Stateside Lawyer's Assistant: Have...

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No I haven't

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am trying to just get out I am literally depressed and just don't want a part of this stuff at all

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Military Law
8/3/2017
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your specific question for us?
Have you gone to medical and reported what you are experiencing and sought treatment?
No , mostly because medical is a joke and they are almost no help at all. I just literally want out because I don't feel right and because I'm not sure I can cut it anymore
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, while I have someone who says the same thing about medical, legally it is your only real hope other than starting with the chaplain, since you likely will find little sympathy in your command staff. The issue is that the only way out at this point is on a medical/mental health discharge and if you want one of those you need to actually go through medical (joke or not) and they need to examine you and counsel you and the process can take 6-10 months and it is not as easy as just going in saying you cannot take it and you want out.
You will have to undergo mental health counseling and then after counseling, they will only suggest discharge if they find they are not able to successfully counsel you through this, which by the way is the same thing most people going through feel at one point or another in the process.
You can start with your chaplain too for some counseling. However, if you ultimately cannot talk through these feelings, the only possible way out is through a medical discharge and you would need to go to medical for treatment before you can obtain one. Medical needs to write up the examination report and make a recommendation to your command regarding discharge for medical reasons and your command ultimately has to approve it based on what is said in the court.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.