Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I have been in the Marine corp for five months roughly.

Customer Question
I have been in...

I have been in the Marine corp for five months roughly. Since I have joined, both my wife and I have struggled with severe depression. We have also struggled with anxiety. Physical chest pains, hives, sleeplessness, night terrors and more all happen throughout the day. We're planning on seeing a civilian psychiatrist. I back home on Red Cross orders I managed to get som recruiters assistance out of it. However, I leave in two days. I wanted more than anything to do reserves. However, since that's not an option, I have to get out for sake of health and marriage. Please help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a JAG attorney about this? Or anyone in the chain of command?

I mentioned it a little with my sgt. However he gave me a speech about cowardance and how ill go to the brig for refusal to train. I'm gonna try to get the psychiatrist to write a letter for early dismissal due to unnecessary hardship reasons. Perhaps get an other physical mental medical discharge.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside camp pendleton

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes please keep this confidential.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
8/2/2017
Military Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Michael Bradley

I would strongly suggest that you get a letter from your psychiatrist. When you go back I would talk to the chaplain who may be able to help. If you Sgt will not offer any assistance you would need to go higher up the chain up to the base commander. If you are physically unable to continue due to your mental issues, you would qualify for a discharge. You need to keep protocol and go up the chain. The red cross may help as well. Make sure that you limit these issues to you and not your spouse as that will not be a factor in the Marines eye.

It is not about cowardice, it is about physical well being. If you aliments can be verified you can qualify for a discharge.

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer