Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Is it possible to voluntarily separate the airforce if i…

Is it possible to...

Is it possible to voluntarily separate the airforce if i havent entered my extension?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Overseas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes but not the seperation

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I originally tried to extend my enlistment and push my DEROS back to my DOS to next year but was denied

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2017
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question, however, I am unclear about what your situation is. Can you tell me have you already signed a new contract for reenlistment? Do you have a service commitment still yet to fulfill on these current orders? Are you asking if you can terminate your duty assignment early? Please explain.

I extended my enlistment for one year to try and stay overseas, when I extended my enlistment I immediately received an assignment from AFPC to Shaw Afb to which my DEROS extension was denied because of me receiving an assignment. My original separation date would be 03 October 2017, with my extension it is October 2018. My question am I allowed to voluntarily separate to cancel my extension.

Thank you for that clarification. Unfortunately, unless your extension agreement somehow allowed you to cancel the agreement if you didn't receive your DEROS extension, there isn't an option for you to choose to leave earlier than the end of your new separation date. You can certainly send a request up the chain of command for an early release, but unless your Command is overmanned, it is not likely to be approved.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could let me know by replying to my answer that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for working with you today. Thank you

Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Marsha411JD, Lawyer