Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am a little confused on the QDRO settlement in my divorce…

Customer Question
Hi there, I am...

Hi there, I am a little confused on the QDRO settlement in my divorce decree. The initial draft Order state i will be award one-half of a marital fraction in which the numerator is the 1734 points and the denominator is the total number of points accrued by my ex as of the date of his retirement. Does this mean I will get 1/2 of 1734 points?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a JAG attorney about this? Or anyone in the chain of command?

No, just my civilian attorney.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside. I am in Alaska

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My ex is retired reserve, he can't pull retirement until age 60 because his last 12 years in the Air Force were reserve. First 10 years were active

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
8/1/2017
Military Lawyer: NYCLAWYER, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.You have a right to half the points.You need clarity though on whether you need to wait for his benefits to be paid and vest or can be paid now.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer