Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I have questions regarding a military urinalysis. They have

Customer Question
Hello I have questions regarding...
Hello I have questions regarding a military urinalysis
JA: Have you talked to a JAG attorney about this? Or anyone in the chain of command?
Customer: Yes, they have already informed of failing
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Overseas
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have basically already admitted guilt
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Military Law
Hello I a marine stationed in Okinawa jp I have been informed recently that I have tested positive on a uranalysis given to me immediately after taking leave, I have admitted guilt to my chain of command but no further action has been taken, I awaiting further information and I still have to write a statement, I am curious as to any ways I can better my situation or any suggestions you may have or if it will be benificial to have a lawyer on my behalf
7/30/2017
Military Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Usually, having an attorney to defend you is the smart thing to do. One of the reasons is because they may be able to find flaws in your situation that could help you lessen any punishment that you may be encountering. For example, even though you may have popped positive and even admitted two testing positive, if you unknowingly or, then the test may be invalid. According to one of my sources, “the government must show that the reason for the positive urinalysis test was because the member knowingly and consciously used an illegal substance.” If they can’t prove that you knowingly did this, but can only prove that you tested positive, then the test may be thrown out and their case may be thrown out. In addition, what if there are any collection errors or testing errors? An attorney might be able to help figure out weather the military followed all of their procedures. Therefore, even if you popped positive, if they did not follow their own procedures, then it may be overturned.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

I guess my only question now would be what do you suggest as far as moving forward, and how can I possibly better the situation, let's say I do want to get a lawyer how would I go about it

Good question. My suggestion would be to get an attorney to help you fight this because you have a chance to mitigate your circumstances.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. You may need to work with your command to find out if you have legal services available to you on base or if you can hire a lawyer from your home state that can dial in and help you out because you're abroad.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer