Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My son is being separated from the navy with code 2307. He…

Customer Question
My son is being...

My son is being separated from the navy with code 2307. He was told my medical and legal that he can re enlist but has to wait 6 months. Do you have any information on that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a JAG attorney about this? Or anyone in the chain of command?

No I have not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Information on what? Are you asking if there is some sort of "automatic upgrade after 6 months"?

I don't know what automatic upgrade means. He was told by the medical and legal people (he's in boot camp) that the code they are giving him allows him to re enlist but he has to wait 6 months. They said he has asthma but he never had been tested or tested for asthma. Regardless, I would like to know if what they are telling him is correct (about re enlisting)
Meant tested or treated

It is not. At all. There is a common misconception that if you are separated, you can apply in 6 months to reenlist (and/or have you discharge upgraded)

This is an "urban legend"

There is no truth to this. At all.

If he is separated for a medical condition, it is highly unlikely he will be able to reenter. The reason is tied to the waiver process. If he is separated for a physical condition, he will require a waiver to reenter the service.
The largest problem you face is the poor economy. The poor economy has caused a flock of people turning to the military for jobs. Despite the war recruiting is way up in all branches. The need for the services to grant waivers has decreased. For example the Marines recently decreased their maximum age for enlistment. Its tough today to get a waiver.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer