P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I have three years in the navy I renlisted for 5 more years

Customer Question

I have three years in the navy I renlisted for 5 more years to come to shore duty coming here I hate everything about it I feel like I'm just wasting time is there anyway I can get help getting out early?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What advice do you have for me

Can you tell me, is there some mental health component to this (for example a diagnosis of depression)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not been diagnosed by a doctor but I do feel depressed like I'm wasting my life here in the navy you are the first person I've talk to about this

Thanks
I have some thoughts and will type them up

You may want head to mental health and get screened for depression.

IF you have a mental health disorder (like depression) and that is impacting your abilities to perform your duties?
That could be a basis to have the commander separate you early.

Short of that (if you do not have a medical condition that limits your ability to perform your duties)?

Then it is unlikely that you would be separated.

There is no loophole or secrete way out...in the all volunteer service (there is no draft) the Navy has a strong interest in NOT letting folks out who are obligated to further service.

you could certainly speak to your command and request to be released, but my experience is that unless you have some medical condition, they will not release you prior to the end of your contract.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.