Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I popped on THC, never did marijuana in the marine corps

Customer Question
Hi, I popped on THC...
Hi, I popped on THC, never did marijuana in the marine corps other than this once. Only did it to get out. I've served close to two years without getting into trouble. I've accepted NJP and am now waiting to get out. I was told they're recommending me with OTH but I was wondering what legal advice can I get to get a general discharge because I'm trying to go back into the civilian world to be able to persue a decent job and live normal again.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 5 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Marine, I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news. From my experience, if you pop positive, in the Marine Corps, you get an OTH.

You can certainly request they give you a general discharge. And if you can convince your commander (battalion commander) to make this recommendation, you may be able to receive a general discharge. But as I have explained this is very rare (that you would get a general for this)

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can get a general, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Is there no way around it to get General, I've been going through a hard time when I made the decision, I lost a friend to suicide and they voluntold me that I have to go on a deployment. But ever since the incident my friend did that I've never been easy and now I'm going to therapy for that. Can that help?
That can help. But more helpful is if you can have members of your chain of command write letters on your behalf.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer