P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I am in the marines reserves. I missed my 2 week training

Customer Question

I am in the marines reserves. I missed my 2 week training because of depression and suicide attempt. Now I don't know what to do or how to face my command
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: State
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I feel like I can't trust any of them
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm still having suicidal thoughts and depressed. I'm currently pregnant again and have a 8 month old. Husband lost his job and he's the only source of income in our home. Everything has just taken a toll on me and I just wish I could get out of the reserves already , I have 2 years to fulfill my contract
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I approach my command about missing AT for the reasons I Did

I would tell them what happened. At the end of the day, you were UA (unauthorized absence). This violates Art 86 UCMJ. They can punish you because of this.

But if you can explain to the command what happened...WHY you missed the training? It may be they provide you clemency (give you less punishment)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would they process me out for being suicidal?

They may...but it would NOT be a bad discharge. You try and "fight' this and you are looking at perhaps an OTH for missing movement

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this? Did you want to speak on the phone?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil