Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Ive been talking to this guy he says in stationed in turkey

Customer Question

Ive been talking to this guy he says in stationed in turkey he been asking me to send him money to come home for good. Is this a scam
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Which state
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No ik nothing about the military
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He wants me to send the money to Africa
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Yes, he's a scammer. Members of the military get paid well and can access their own money from anywhere in the world. They don't need yours. Also, if he's in Turkey, why would you need to send money to Africa in order to get him home? Finally, the military would make his travel arrangements for him at no cost when he comes home.

All of this is just a way to steal your money.

Here's a warning from the US Army itself about such scams, and if you are still not sure whether to believe me, hopefully, you will believe them by the time I'm done.

http://www.army.mil/article/67457/

Here's an article from a soldier's wife, that's also instructive.

http://marriedtothearmy.com/are-you-dating-an-army-soldier-or-a-fake/

If you need to be convinced with firmer proof, try these tips as they are FOOLPROOF:

1) Ask your scammer for his official military email address. This is not classified information. A real US soldier may have a classified email address as well, but he also has a regular military email address with which he writes to his friends and family. Every soldier does because it is the only one he is supposed to use. When he gives his email address to you, it should end in .mil It will NOT end in .com In other words, it should look like John.Doe @us.army.mil

If the email address doesn't end in us.army.mil on the extreme right side of the @ sign, he is a fake. Only US servicemen can get a .mil email address, and if he can't produce one that you can email him back and forth with, he's scamming you. Period.

There are ways they can fake that, so if he emails you from what looks like a .mil email address, when you reply, you need to type that email address in manually. If it kicks back or he never receives it, he's a fake.

2) Get his full name, army identification number and date of birth and enter it on the US Military's website. This too, is not classified information and, in fact, would be information he'd have to disclose if he were ever captured.

The site I am linking you to below should tell you if he is a soldier. If he won't give you the information you need to use the site, then you know he's a scammer. He has no reason to refuse to give it to you. If he does but the site doesn't recognize him or contradicts what he's told you, that tells you he's a scammer too.

https://scra.dmdc.osd.mil/single_record.xhtml

The above are foolproof. If he can't or won't give you what you ask for then he's a fake, no matter what else he tries to say or show you.

This last doesn't always work, but when it does it's really dramatic:

3) Upload his photo to Google's Search by Image and see if the same photo is being used all over the web on a bunch of different names and profiles. If you can't figure out how to use Search by Image you can upload photos to me with your reply to this question thread and I can do this for you. I can also look at any documents he's sent you.

I will be happy to look over any pictures and documents that he has sent you if you wish to upload them to this thread.

Once you believe he is a scammer, cease all contact with him. Report him to your local police, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.